Saturday, January 19, 2013

What to do with those orphan blocks?

I had a stack of orphan blocks in the cupboard so I started making cushions.




One night on Twitter chatting with Katy from ImAGingerMonkey, I offered to quilt a few of her orphan blocks so she could make them into cushions.


A package soon arrived from England filled with familiar blocks I had seen on Katy's blog and extra Laurie Wisbrun panels. My little boy could pick his favourite so he chose the emu placing the star on a Christmas tree (so Australian).


Also included was a Quilt Blocks Layer Cake - one of my favourites.





I used 4 different digital designs in 4 different shades of Aurifil threads and Superior threads.

2805 50wt - Light Turquoise
2135 50wt - Golden Yellow
Highlights 792 - Pure White
So Fine 642 - Deep Rose Pink


What do you do with your orphan blocks?


8 comments:

  1. Sadly they are piling up in a shoe box ready for making into an all sorts quilt. I figured that with sashing to even up the odd sizes I might make a few quilts to donate to Siblings Together...at least that is e plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make a Bumblebeans style kitchen sink quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping mine to make a kind of sampler quilt. Like Sue, I'm thinking sashings will make them the same size and put it all together. I try to make at least one extra from every quilt I make. Unfortunately I haven't been making too many lately. Come to think of it, that's what I can use the extra length of the ribbons quilt top I just finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Melody, I'm saving mine to put into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made them into pillows and gave them away as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea to turn the orphans into cushions, I must do that with some of mine. Much better than having them sitting in a dark cupboard. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make pot holders but I love what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with the others in that I would like to put them all together one day in a big sampler quilt. Cushions are a great idea though. I love yours done with contrasting binding. That Christmas Emu is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read my guests comments and I will try my best to reply. Please note - Your comment will not appear until approved.